The Panum Building is a part of the University of Copenhagen and is placed a few kilometres from the centre of Copenhagen.
It is a large building complex of some 105,000 m2. The buildings house The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences.
The Panum building was taken into use in 1975 and is named after Professor of Physiology Peter Ludvig Panum (1820-1885) who, while still a medical student, worked on the cholera epidemics that culminated in 1853.
P.L. Panum is also famous for his research into measles in connection with an epidemic of that disease in the Faroe Islands. He was appointed Professor of Physiology in Kiel, Germany before returning to the University of Copenhagen in Denmark.
The Maersk Tower is an extension of Panum, the University of Copenhagen’s Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, and contains both research and teaching facilities, as well as a conference centre with auditoriums and meeting rooms, connected to the latest technology. The Tower is a state-of-the-art research building whose innovative architecture creates the optimum framework for world-class health research, making it a landmark in Copenhagen. It aims to contribute positively by linking the University of Copenhagen with the surrounding neighbourhoods and wider city.